RightMom

Mom Knows Best......

Thursday, May 26, 2005

A Good Gal on the Bench, Finally!

Too bad this New York Times didn't run this before the big dust-up in the Senate.

I met Ms. Owen over 16 years ago. She wouldn't know me from Adam. But I remember her. She had just made partner at Andrews & Kurth. I was one of the many paralegals working on the massive "take or pay" litigations going hot and heavy in the late 80's.

She was absolutely brilliant.

As will happen in high stakes litigation, a conundrum arose on how to get around an issue that was coming up in a hearing. It was looking like this one hearing could scuttle the whole litigation, in the bad way for our client. It was agreed by the more senior litigators, to seek Ms. Owen's help. She came through. I did not attend the hearing, but I understood that the tact Ms. Owen suggested, was presented to the Judge by the partner in charge of the litigation. It saved the day for our client.

I'm glad she allowed her name to remain on this list for 4 years. Most people would have thrown in the towel and gone home much sooner. (Not to even speak of the public humiliation and examination she has had to endure from the press and other politicians.) But she deserved to be on the bench by her credentials alone.

Absolutely brilliant.

That's all I really remember of her, which is vastly more than what she could recall about me.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home